Ah Quinoa – which before I knew how to pronounce it, called it Quin-noa! (FYI it’s pronounced ‘keen-nwa’), It’s such a super healthy grain. Totally gluten free, full of benefits and is bursting with protein and vitamins! It’s no wonder it’s hailed a super food and for those who are sticking to a healthy diet have replaced rice with this funny sounding grain!
Now I’m always wanting to embark on a healthy eating regime but I do so well for a few days then stuff my face with the delightful bad stuff like… pizza, pasta, take away (all gluten free of course) but since I’m due to go on holiday to Florida in a couple of weeks, I was worried I’d look like Shamu the killer whale and get harpooned out of the pool! [fun fact: I’m actually terrified of Whales!]
For the first time ever, I have introduced Quinoa to my diet and I absolutely love it! I’ve had it alongside my curry and with my salads in the evening. Although some people may argue that it’s actually quite boring and tasteless, I have started to cook with a little hint of lemon, which makes it perfect for summer!
So if you fancy trying Quinoa, then here is my super easy recipe for Lemon Flavoured Quinoa
- 1 cup of dried Quinoa
- 2 cups of Boiling Water
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Lemon
- Measure out your dried Quinoa
- Rinse the dried Quinoa in a sieve under cold water. Make sure you do this as the Quinoa can taste quite bitter
- Add the 2 cups of Boiling Water and bring to the boil
- Add the salt and reduce the heat until the water simmers. Continue to simmer until all the water has absorbed
- Carefully pour the cooked Quinoa into a bowl, squeeze the 1/2 lemon into the Quinoa and mix to combine