Happy Chinese New Year everyone!
The Chinese new year is one of the most important traditional holidays for the Chinese people and this year people will be celebrating the year of the dragon! So I thought it’d be the perfect time to upload my gluten free fortune cookie recipe!
Like most coeliac’s today, the mere mention of the Chinese new year will remind us of Chinese cuisine that we assumed had become a distant memory. Which is why I thought today would be the perfect day to post my gluten free Chinese fortune cookie recipe! [Also, if you fancy Gluten Free Sweet and Sour Battered Chicken and Egg Fried Rice – Click Here]
What’s good about this recipe is that it involves minimum ingredients, there’s no faffing about with weighing scales and measuring jugs and can be rustled up in a matter of minutes!
and this happened…
and before I knew it, I had used up all of my batter. Now usually I would throw in the towel and have a huge strop out of the kitchen, but this time I was not going to let these cookies defeat me! So I quickly mixed together more ingredients and tackled these flippin’ cookies one more time.
They do seem a little tricky to master at first but practice does make perfect and before you know it, I’m sure you’ll be making 100s . But here some little handy tips I found along the way, instead of greasing a baking tray with butter, use greaseproof paper, which helped them not stick to the tray and just peel off really easily. Also, instead of using a teaspoon full of mixture, I used a tablespoon and made the fortune cookies slightly thicker. I also found sticking to 1 or 2 cookies per sheet meant I was able to fold them quickly before they hardened.
And don’t worry if they don’t look like the amazing, symmetrical looking fortune cookies that you get in the restaurants and take aways! These are your gluten free fortune cookies, so it doesn’t matter if they look a little mismatched and don’t look all the same, they still taste amazing!
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
- 4 tablespoons of Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 3 tablespoons of Caster Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / Gas mark: 6
- On little strips of paper, write your own unique fortunes or notes
- In a bowl, whisk the Egg Whites with the Vanilla Essence until foamy
- Add the Flour, Salt and Sugar and mix together until you make a batter mixture
- Line a baking sheet with some greaseproof paper and drop a tablespoon of mixture onto the sheet. With the back of the spoon gently spread it out until it forms a circle. I also found gently tipping the tray from side to side also helped spread the batter evenly and pop in the oven for approximately 5 minutes or until the sides of the cookie start to turn golden and brown
- Carefully and quickly, take the cookies out of the oven, add the fortune note, and quickly fold them over. Using the edge of a cup, bend the fortune cookie over the cups edge and place in an egg box or bottom of a cup to retain its shape till it hardens!