As it’s National Carrot Day today (seems to be a national day for just anything these days!) I thought I would share with you my easy and simple gluten free Carrot Cake recipe! As the main body of the cake does not contain any dairy ingredients, it can be easily made dairy free by changing the ingredients in the frosting. There are some dairy free carrot cake frosting recipes that simply involve icing sugar mixed with water [here] but for those who enjoy a creamier frosting, some people mix icing sugar with vanilla essence and dairy free butter [here].
INGREDIENTS – [FOR THE CAKE]
- 140g grated Carrot [this usually eqautes to 1 large carrot]
- 3 medium free range Eggs
- 175g Muscovado Sugar [Light]
- 175ml Vegetable Oil
- 175g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Gluten Free Baking Soda
- 50g Walnuts [broken into small pieces]
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c
- Using a cheese grater, grate the Carrots and put aside for later
- In a mixing bowl, add the 3 eggs and whisk until it’s frothy
- Add the Muscovado Sugar and Vegetable Oil into the whisked eggs and continue to mix together
- Sieve the Gluten Free Self Raising Flour and Baking Power into the mixing bowl and continue to mix until well combined
- Add the Walnuts peices and the grated Carrot into the mixture
- Generously grease a cake tin [or use greaseproof paper] and pour the Carrot Cake mixture in
- Pop the cake in the oven and bake for 30/35 minutes
- Once baked, insert a butter knife into the centre of the cake. The cake is ready if the knife comes on clean
- Leave the cake in the cake tin and leave to cool on a wire rack for 5 /10 minutes
- Remove the cake from the cake tin and leave to cool on the wire rack.
- Refrain from adding the icing or the frosting until the cake has cooled down.
INGREDIENTS – [FOR THE FROSTING]
- 250g Cream Cheese [brought to room temperature]
- 50g Butter [brought to room temperature]
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 275g of Icing Sugar
Although the frosting for the carrot cake is quite easy to make, I have been using Betty Crocker Vanilla Buttercream for the frosting instead and it tastes just as good. You can find the Betty Crocker range in all major supermarkets in the baking aisle. However below, is the step by step instructions to make your own carrot cake frosting. Also, feel free to omit or replace ingredients to make the frosting dairy free.
- Whilst the cake is in the oven, add the Cream Cheese and Butter in a separate bowl, and mix together until the mix has become quite creamy
- Add the Icing Sugar and Vanilla Extract to the bowl and mix together.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a cake palette knife [I often use the back of a spoon] and generously spread the frosting on cake