I was really excited to take part in another Gluten Free Recipe Challenge set by the fabulous Caleigh from Gluten Free[k]. It was all the way back in March, when she set the first Spring Gluten Free Recipe Challenge, where we had to come up with something gluten free, dairy free and nut free – but had to involve oranges! So I made my first batch of Gluten, Nut and Dairy Free Orange Flavoured Cupcakes!
But this time the challenge was to make something Gluten Free and Egg Free but it had to involve – Mint!
And since it’s far too warm to bake [I seem to be melting in this summer heat!] and I’m also not a great fan of mint flavoured cakes and chocolates [trust me, I’m a fussy eater!], I decided to make some Gluten and Egg free Mint Lamb Burgers! The reason why is because it’s the perfect weather for barbecues and these make tasty and refreshing gluten and egg free burgers fit for the barbie!
What’s more, the recipe can be adapted to make Lamb Mint meatballs [to go alongside a summer salad] or moulded round wooden/metal skewers to make tasty Mint Lamb style Kebabs!
If you do decide to make your own Gluten and Egg free Mint Lamb Burgers, make sure you finely chop the ingredients! This will ensure the burgers don’t fall apart when you start cutting and cooking them!
- 1 Onion [finely chopped]
- 3 Cloves of Garlic [finely chopped]
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Ground Coriander
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Ground Cumin
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- A big handful of Mint Leaves [finely chopped]
- A small handful of Fresh Coriander [finely chopped]
- 500g Lamb Mince
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, add the finely chopped Onion
- Add the finely chopped Garlic
- Add the heaped teaspoons of Ground Cumin, Coriander and Cayenne Pepper
- Now Add the finely chopped Mint Leaves and Coriander
- Add the Lamb Mince and season with Salt and Pepper
- With a fork or knife [or your hands!] mash up the Lamb Mince with the rest of the ingredients
- With clean hands – make a burger style patty [try and make them all the same size so they cook equally]
- Heat a little Olive Oil over medium to high heat, and carefully add the Lamb Mint Burger to the frying pan
- Cook on both sides till the inside of the burger is cooked through fully
- Et Viola – you’re ready to scoff your face!
If you’ve decided to cook these burgers on the barbie or under the grill – make sure you brush each burger with a little olive oil.