I love this time of year. Spring is just around the corner which means daffodils are in full bloom, there’s lambs about, Kiki gets spring fever and more importantly, the clocks go forward which means we get more sunlight in the evening [woop!].
So when Caleigh from Gluten Free[k] asked if I wanted to be part of the ‘Spring Recipe Challenge‘ which is part of ‘The Great Gluten Free Recipe Challenge‘ I knew I couldn’t resist, especially with the fun and success of the ‘Free From and Festive Challenge‘ last Christmas!
So what is this Spring Recipe Challenge I hear you say?
Well me and the other fabulous gluten free bloggers have had to come up with gluten free recipes, without using any dairy products or nuts but we must all use one main ingredient; Oranges.
Now what I’m about to tell you may shock some of you, but the problem is…. I just don’t like orange flavoured things. I know, I know, it’s weird considering I do actually quite like Orange Juice but anything else like orange flavoured chocolate or orange flavoured anything really, I just don’t like! So what does a girl make who doesn’t like orange flavoured things, oh that’s right, orange flavoured cupcakes!
Thing is, I wanted to make a recipe that would be pretty easy to make but that both Mike and ‘Wheat Pete’, my house-mates, would also like and I know they both love their cupcakes. Whenever I make a batch of gluten free cupcakes, they’ve all been devoured in a matter of minutes by them two!
I was also so worried about baking with Oranges because I’d never baked with Oranges before but I know they turned out really well because Mike and Pete had wolfed the lot down and kept telling me with a mouthful of orange flavoured cupcake that they were really good. So here is my easy peasy orange flavoured cupcake recipe!
Oh and before I start, the photo below is for my mother dearest, who has kindly insisted on reminding me every time I bake whether or not I’ve used her cupcake stand she bought me for Christmas. So because she has vowed to cripple me if I don’t use them when she next sees me … I have finally used the cupcake stand!
- 220g Gluten Free Plain Flour [I used Doves as it contains Xanthan Gum]
- 150g Dairy Free Margarine [I used Vitalite]
- 150g Sugar
- 5 tablespoons of Soya Milk
- 3 Eggs
- Juice of 3 Medium Sized Oranges
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C
- In a bowl, mix together the Sugar and Dairy Free Margarine until nice and creamy
- Now add the Milk, Juice of 3 Oranges and the Eggs and mix together with the Sugar and Margerine
- Add the flour and give it a really big stir
- Carefully pour into cupcake cases 3/4 full, pop in the pre-heated oven and bake for 10/15 minutes. Gently take the cupcakes out and cool them on a wire rack
- Ice and decorate with the prettiest of icing flowers from Asda!
Head over to Gluten Free[k] to see the other amazing gluten free/free from bloggers that have taken part!