West Indian style rice and peas have to be my favourite rice dish! So you can believe it when I lived near the West Indian take out in Moss Side, I would get one huge tub full of rice and peas all to myself! Honestly, I could eat it till it was going out of fashion!
So when I made my gluten free Jerk chicken for the first time, which was inspired by Bob Marley’s birthday, I also thought it’d be a great time to make rice and peas!
However, just like the jerk chicken recipe, there seemed to be a gazillion ways of making rice and peas! I really didn’t have a clue where to start, although buying a packet of rice would be a good start! So since I used the gorgeous Caroline MiLi Artiss ‘s Jerk chicken recipe for inspiration, I thought I’d also use her rice and peas recipe as inspiration too!
The dish came out tasting absolutely gorgeous, although I did find the rice to be slightly stodgy which I honestly don’t mind! However, if you do mind, maybe try 1/2ing the amount of water you use.
- tablespoon of Oil
- Handful of sprigs of Spring Onion [finely chopped]
- 2 Garlic Cloves [finely chopped]
- 1 teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoon of Jerk Seasoning
- 1 can of Kidney Beans
- 250g Rice [which has been washed in several changes of water. Any variety can be used, I used Basmati]
- 1 can of Coconut Milk
- 250ml Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium heat, add the oil with the chopped Spring Onion and Garlic
- When the Spring Onion begins to soften, add the Kidney Beans along with Jerk Seasoning, the Dried Thyme and mix together
- Add the Rice and mix together
- Add the Coconut Milk and give it a good stir
- Add the Water, Salt and Pepper and leave it on medium heat until it begins to bubble
- Now turn the heat to the lowest setting, pop on a lid and leave it to simmer for 40 minutes or until all the water and coconut has been absorbed
- Give it another stir, and serve with gluten free jerk chicken!