One of the things I missed when I was diagnosed with coeliac disease was god damn pizza, and it looks like I’m not the only one either! Since tweeting about Dominos doing gluten free pizza in other countries but the UK, it was pretty obvious I wasn’t the only one that was missing beloved pizza either!
Although some of us are lucky to have places near by that cater for us fabulous coeliacs when it comes to gluten free pizza [I’ve provided a list here] we’re also lucky that the amazing Dietary Specials do the most amazing frozen gluten free Italian pizza that makes you check around a 100 times to make sure you’ve not accidently picked up a gluten laden pizza instead [mistakes have happend!].
Many moons ago I was doing the usual day dreaming of pizza [like you do], when I realised how much I missed stuffed crust pizza! I used to always order it whenever I went to Pizza Hut and although I am so thankful that I can have some gluten free pizza, sometimes I longed for stuffed crust! So I had a brain wave – I was going to attempt to make my own stuffed crust pizza! *cue fan fare*
- 225g Gluten Free Flour [I used Glutafin White]
- 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum [If you’re flour doesn’t include it]
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Yeast
- 1 Egg
- 3 tablespoons of Oil
- 130g Water
- 1 box/tin/jar of Tomato Passata [which is a posh way of saying ‘sieved tomatoes’]
- 1 small Onion [finely chopped]
- 1 cube of Garlic [finely chopped]
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- Pre heat the oven at 200°C
- First follow the instructions for my Tasty Pizza Sauce
- Then make your pizza dough using my Easy Pizza Dough Recipe
- Roll out your dough and prick it the base with a fork [I find this helps to make it crispy] and add your sliced Mozzarella [use as much as you want, I used it sparingly and when I make it again, I’ll use more]
- Now fold the dough over the pieces of cheese making sure you press the edges down so it doesn’t fold back up when it’s cooking!
- Add the Tasty Pizza Sauce
- Add your cheese and pop in the oven for 10/15 minutes!
- And as if by magic, you have gluten free stuffed crust pizza!